Companies Act Authority
Section 30(7) of Companies Act, 2008, and Companies Regulations, 2011, Regulation 29(4)) determines that properly qualified SAIBA members are recognised as Independent Reviewers.
Only those SAIBA members that have:
- Obtained the BAP(SA) designation, and
- Have been licensed by SAIBA, are allowed to perform independent review engagements.
SAIBA are obligated by the Companies Act, 2008 to ensure that SAIBA members that provide independent review services to clients, are:
- competent and able to provide high quality services,
- accountable for the work they perform,
- committed to relevant CPD, and
- aware of their role and responsibility to clients, and society.
Our License for Independent Reviewers aims to achieve this.
Licensed Independent Reviewer
This license is accredited by SAIBA and authorises the member to perform a specialist service within the standards of engagements as set by SAIBA.
The license is not the equivalent of a designation nor a qualification.
Purpose of the license
- Equip business accountants in practice to perform independent reviews with confidence.
Assessing the competence of designated members to providing quality independent review services.
After completing this license the designated member will be:
able to obtain the license you need to provide evidence of competence in the specialist area. This evidence is presented by passing an exam. The exam is set by an independent industry expert and accredited by SAIBA.
exposed to the necessary skills to fulfil their statutory duties in terms of section 30(7)(b) and regulation 29 of the Act and Regulations.
exposed to the necessary skills to apply standards of conduct, quality control and ISRS 2400 in performing an independent review.
The following topics are covered in the license
Introductions and definitions
Code Of Conduct Applicable To Reviewers
Quality Control Standards Applicable To Reviewers
Accepting the client
Performing the engagement
Completing the engagement
Issuing a report
Why a license for independent reviewers
- The Companies Act, 71 of 2008 requires certain companies to be audited and others to have their financial statements independently reviewed by an independent reviewer. An independent review is an alternative to the audit but still allows an opinion to be expressed on the financial statements. Independent reviews have to be performed in terms of the International Standard on Review Engagements 2400 by a qualified independent reviewer.
- The Licence: Independent Review Engagements is a pre-requisite for a BAP(SA) to obtain CIPC recognition and registration as an independent reviewer and perform independent reviews.
If you want to perform independent reviews you have to be licensed
The Licensed Independent Reviewer (LIR) is a professional license that is awarded to:
- members of SAIBA, that has
- obtained a BAP(SA) designation, and who
- wants to perform independent reviews and other review services, and
- has a minimum of 2 years of relevant post-designation experience
Branded, secure, and verifiable digital certificates
- Obtain branded, secure, and verifiable digital certificates and badges.
- Your certificates can't be duplicated or faked.
- With a single click, you and potential clients/employers can verify the achievement is legitimate.
- Social media ready.
- We automatically optimize your certificates and badges to display perfectly on any screen size, so they always look good.